Native Men’s Wellness Program
Southcentral Foundation’s Native Men’s Wellness Program is dedicated to raising awareness of Alaska Native and American Indian men’s health and wellness by addressing the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of their lives.
Southcentral Foundation established the Native Men’s Wellness Program as a volunteer-based group to identify challenges facing Alaska Native and American Indian men and to develop intervention strategies. Here are some areas of focus for the Native Men’s Wellness Program:
- Awareness – Help Alaska Native men identify their contemporary roles in the community while maintaining traditional subsistence and cultural practices.
- Employability – Identify vocational and employment opportunities, counseling, and/or barriers while providing a supportive environment.
- Cultural Connectivity – Provide a culturally appropriate venue for Alaska Native men to discuss relevant issues concerning cultural and historical aspects of their lives.
- Healthy Living – Offer support and strategies for Alaska Native men to improve their health and wellness.
- Embracing our Native cultures plays a significant role in leading a healthy lifestyle. A series of cultural videos is currently being produced. Here is a preview of “Hunting in Alaska” to be released toward the end of the year.